Now here is a candy recipe for all my vegans out there, or just anyone who likes coconut and lime. It's chewy, it's creamy and it's tangy and you need some in your house right now! Perfect for Christmas or any other time you need some candy.
Chewy coconut and lime caramels
400 g coconut cream, 80 %
400 g sugar
50 g glucose
juice and zest of 2 limes
20 g desiccated coconut
1. Toast the desiccated coconut in a frying pan until it is nice and browned.
2. Pour into a bowl and zest the lime over to make a bit of a sprinkle for the caramels. Set aside until later.
3. Line a 20 x 20 square tin lined with baking paper.
4. Put the coconut cream, sugar, glucose and lime juice in a large saucepan with good heat distribution and a thick base.
5. Bring to a boil while stirring to make sure the sugar melts evenly.
6. Cook until it reaches 127° C while continously stirring so it doesn't burn and once it's done you just pour it into your prepared tin.
7. Let it sit half a minute to cool down a little and then sprinkle on your topping nice and evenly.
8. Now you just have to let it set completely in room temperature which is going to take a couple of hours.
9. Once cool and set you can cut it as big or small as you want. Top tip! Use a really sharp knife and cover it with a layer of oil when you cut because these caramels are really chewy and sticky.
10. Wrap in baking paper and enjoy!
I hope you'll give these a go even if you aren't vegan because they are delicious. Until next time!